Every weekday I post a set of poetry prompts on poetrywritinggroup.wordpress.com and a set of story prompts on the script, novel and short story blogs. I also run Morgen’s Free Monday Creative Writing Q&A Mentorship on Facebook. Do join us and pick my brain. 🙂
*** If you love these prompts (or are looking to improve your writing or submit a manuscript), do take a look at seven my online courses… six are half-price (using coupon codes) and the other is FREE! ***
Following on from this, here are some exercises, one per day (or you could mix them!) to write non-fiction (or fictional) pieces about…
- Monday 11th Mar: what did you do today?
- Tuesday 12th Mar: a fancy apron
- Wednesday 13th Mar: this picture
- Thursday 14th Mar: a lot quicker than normal
- Friday 15th Mar: pick an item from this week’s news
- Saturday 16th Mar: picking the corner
- Sunday 17th Mar: mix this week’s prompts
- Don’t forget your five senses: sight, sound, touch, taste, smell
- Colours: Include at least one colour in your story. It does add depth.
- Use strong verbs and avoid adverbs: have someone striding instead of walking confidently.
- Only use repetition to emphasise.
- When you’ve finished the first draft, read the piece aloud. It’s surprising how many ‘mistakes’ leap out at you when you read out loud… assuming you have any of course! You could then submit your piece to somewhere listed on Submissions – non-fiction.
- And there are loads more writing tips on https://morgenbailey.wordpress.com/writing-101.
Picture above courtesy of morguefile.com / pixabay.com