*** If you love these prompts (or are looking to improve your writing or submit a manuscript), do take a look at my online courses… half-price using coupon codes! ***
- Monday 2nd May: a square space
- Tuesday 3rd May: Charles II
- Wednesday 4th May: writing about yourself
- Thursday 5th May: this picture
- Friday 6th May: difficult to tell
- Saturday 7th May: Ruth the guardian
- Sunday 8th May: pick an item from this week’s news
- Don’t forget your five senses: sight, sound, touch, taste, smell
- Colours: Include at least one colour in your story. It does add depth.
- Use strong verbs and avoid adverbs: have someone striding instead of walking confidently.
- Only use repetition to emphasise.
- When you’ve finished the first draft, read the piece aloud. It’s surprising how many ‘mistakes’ leap out at you when you read out loud… assuming you have any of course! You could then submit your piece to somewhere listed on Submissions – non-fiction.
- And there are loads more writing tips on https://morgenbailey.wordpress.com/writing-101.
Picture above courtesy of morguefile.com
*** Breaking News: ten of my eBooks are now available as paperbacks! ***
You can subscribe to my main blog on your Kindle / Kindle app via Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com. Alternatively, you can sign up to receive these blog posts daily or weekly so you don’t miss anything (see the main blog’s right-hand vertical menu).
You can contact me and find me on the internet, view my books (including my debut novel The Serial Dater’s Shopping List, various short story collections and writer’s block workbooks) and if you like the blogs, you can help me keep it running by donating. Thank you.
If you would like to send me a book review of another author’s books or like your book reviewed (short stories, contemporary crime / women’s novels or writing guides), see book-reviews for the guidelines. Other options listed on opportunities-on-this-blog. And I post writing exercises every weekday on four other online writing groups.